Both kinds of bill of materials (BOMs) provide unique components that help enterprises remain organized and connected throughout a product’s lifecycle. Teamcenter provides multi-functional design BOM management through deep integrations with the MCAD, ECAD, software development, and simulation tools that are used on a daily basis. Users can manage, find, share and re-use multi-domain data across design centers around the world with a single, secure source of design BOM data.
eBOM vs. mBOM: What makes one different from the other
However, eBOM and mBOM have their differences.
eBOM: Engineering Bill of Materials
- Organized with regards to how the product is designed
- List of all the parts in the product’s design
- Includes a list of parts, components, and materials
- Also includes detailed engineering information such as specifications, tolerances, and standards
mBOM: Manufacturing Bill of Materials
- The roadmap for manufacturing any physical product
- It will contain or be driven by the eBOM
- Is a configuration of the product to show it will be assembled
- Includes any details and materials needed to build, assemble, and package your product
- Also includes information about how the parts relate to one another
To summarize, the major differences between eBOM and mBOM are in their structure and depth. mBOMs must contain all the parts and assemblies. If an item needs to be purchased, processed or inventoried to make the product then it needs to be represented on the mBOM. The eBOM may not provide any information about how parts relate to each other, while that is the main purpose of an mBOM.
In closing, Teamcenter BOM Management helps enterprises understand the complex relationships and dependencies between components from different design domains across all possible configurations of the product, even as it changes. Each kind of BOM, eBOM and mBOM, allows users to have accurate, efficient data and ultimately enhance the speed of operations.
To learn more about Teamcenter, contact us at PROLIM.com. Alternatively, leave your thoughts in the comment section.