Open Internet Explorer and go to the library where you want to display the file extension. You should see the “System Account” in the upper right corner of the window if you are logged on with the correct credentials.
1) As with any changes, ensure that you have a full back up before you begin.
2) Logon to the server with the SharePoint admin (the logon with which SharePoint and Insight were installed).
3) Install SharePoint Designer on the server (this is a free tool that can be downloaded from Microsoft–very easy to do just take the defaults when installing)
4) Open Internet Explorer and go to the library where you want to display the file extension. You should see the “System Account” in the upper right corner of the window if you are logged on with the correct credentials.
5) Go to the Site Actions dropdown (upper left corner for SharePoint 2010).
6) Select Edit in SharePoint Designer.
7) If you get a message to login or that your credentials are not correct, then you are not logged onto the server with the correct login.
8) Click lists and libraries.
9) Under the Document Libraries location, select the library to display the file extension by clicking on it in the list.
10) In the Views list, click on the view for which you would like to add the file extensions. (If you have not created custom views, just chose all documents.)
11) At the bottom, select the Code button.
12) Click anywhere at the top in the code window so that your curser is there and on your keyboard, push and hold Ctrl and then push f.
13) The Find box should appear.
14) Type in viewfields and click find next.
15) Put your curser at the end of that line (after the >) and push enter on your keyboard to create a new line.
16) Cut and paste the following or type it in exactly
17) Click the save button at the top or Go To File…Save
18) Reboot the server or do an iisreset when the users are out of Solid Edge.
19) Check your view.
20) If you don’t want the extension first, you can move it down in the list by repeating the above and then moving that line you typed after the item you want it to follow.
21) You will need to repeat this in each library where you want to show the extensions.