By 2026, 75% of organizations will adopt a digital transformation model predicated on cloud as the fundamental underlying platform. So it’s not an overstatement to say that your cloud deployment strategy is one of the most critical pieces of the modern enterprise. Get it right, and you’re maximizing your resources and setting yourself up for present and future scaling and success. Get it wrong, and you’re making the enterprise less efficient and opening yourself to sunken costs and bigger risks like security breaches.
How to Optimize Your Cloud Deployment with Mendix
But with that variety can come a lot of questions. So, let’s look at some of the most critical questions any enterprise should ask themselves about their best cloud deployment fit.
Optimizing cloud strategy helps speed up time-to-value and lower your operational burden. But determining the right fit for your Mendix deployments involves a lot of criteria. Here are some of the key questions to consider.
- Public cloud: This is generally managed by the provider, meaning it requires just limited DevOps resources. Public clouds are the most no-mess, no-fuss option and the fastest to implement. Some examples of providers are AWS, Azure, Google, SAP BTP, and StackIT. You might hear terms like AWS-shop, SAP-shop, and partner-managed.
- Your own virtual private cloud (VPC): As the name implies, VPCs are private clouds hosted within public clouds. This can be a great fit if you have Kubernetes expertise and dedicated DevOps resources in your organization. VPCs also work wonderfully for heavily-regulated industries like government and financial services. You may have heard about providers like Mendix Private Cloud and Red Hat OpenShift here.
- On-premises: This would run your app portfolio on a local data center, meaning you have complete control over your deployments.
This is all about control. Managed cloud solutions work as cloud-deployment-in-a-box. In other words, your provider will manage the cloud operations, allowing your resources to focus on the actual development of your apps. In the case of Mendix Cloud, we’ll manage cloud-native infrastructure, DevOps, configuration management, backups, monitoring, and more.
Many public clouds run as multi-tenant solutions. This doesn’t affect performance, security, or stability. However, highly regulated industries and organizations might require a solution where the organization is the only org on that cloud.|
This isn’t the complete list of factors to be aware of, but if you can answer the above, you can hone in on the best option.
With Mendix, you have options to deploy quickly, securely, and the way your organization needs to. Let’s take a look at some of the options available to you!
Mendix Cloud is the most-optimized cloud option available for Mendix users. It runs on AWS and is the easiest and most optimized way to get your entire Mendix portfolio running at cloud scale. It’s fast to market, and we’ll manage all the cloud operations on your behalf. Low-risk, low-cost, no DevOps needed.
- Mendix Cloud Dedicated: This is a Mendix installation in a dedicated AWS account with transparent integration with the rest of the
- Mendix platform. Need a single-tenant deployment but want Mendix to manage it? This is the way.
- Mendix for Private Cloud: If your organization needs a private cloud, Mendix can provide that. Available in connected or standalone options, you can keep your Mendix apps in your own cluster. Compliant, secure, and private.
- Mendix for Server-Based Deployments: This is your option if you have highly specific needs or your organization has more experience with Windows/Linux VM based deployments.
Partner Cloud (SAP, AWS, etc.): If you have experience managing applications on clouds like SAP or AWS and want to keep that control, that’s no problem. Easily integrate Mendix resources into your existing cloud provider. No problem at all.
By 2027, cloud will be pervasive and moved into its next chapter—flexibility and innovation. It will be ubiquitous and the underlying basis for most IT and business innovation. That’s why it’s so important to choose a deployment option that aligns with your enterprise’s cloud strategy to enable future growth (or something like that).
If this feels like a lot, don’t worry! The important things to remember are that Mendix has the flexibility to let you manage your cloud deployment however you like, plus the expertise to help you ensure your execution and strategy align. If you’d like to chat, contact us! We’re happy to help you find the best fit for you and help you get set up.