NX Tip of the Week – January 16, 2015
In machining, there are often situations where you need to add or remove extra material in a specific area of your part but not the entire part. In NX CAM, you can apply custom parameters to individual boundary members allowing you to add or remove extra material to a certain area of the part. A good example of this is when using Planar Mill and editing the Part Boundary to add or remove extra material. Below are the steps to add extra material to two specific areas of a part.
1) In the part shown below, a Planar Mill operation cuts a portion of the part detail to finish size:
2) For this demonstration we want to add .030″ to the faces highlighted below:
3) Edit the Part Boundaries:
4) Select Edit to be able to edit members individually:
5) Use the “Next” arrow to toggle through each individual boundary member. The active boundary member is shown in orange:
6) Once the boundary member is highlighted in orange, select Custom Member Data:
7) Apply 0.030″ stock to the boundary member:
8) Repeat steps 4, 5, 6 & 7 for the second face to which you want to add stock.
9) Generate the operation and see that the cutter leaves 0.030″ extra material on the desired faces and
leaves 0.000″ on the rest of the faces: