Leaders are all around us, in organizations, social settings, and at home in family settings. A person becomes a leader when people look up to him and want to follow him. But, one often wonders who is a leader and how are they different. Many also wonder if leadership is something that can be taught.
The most important aspect of leadership is that not every leader is the same. Every leader has a different leadership skills. They have different skills for working with the diverse type of people and groups, offering the right advice and solution to deal with any situation.
The skills of a good leader are:
- Strategic thinker – This is one of the most important skills that a leader has. They have a vision of where they want to be, how they’re getting there and working towards achieving that vision.
- Effective problem solver – Attacking the problem and finding a solution can turn out to be learning experience and an opportunity for a good leader.
- Empowers Team – A good leader takes the team with him, empowers them to take responsibility, keeps them motivated, and makes the right decisions keeping the best interests of the employees and organization.
- Excellent communication skills – Good leaders builds a rapport with his peers and subordinates. He has strong communication and negotiation skills.
- Effective personal qualities – A good leader has a charisma, understanding, compassion, and assertiveness that motivates people to look up to him and follow him.
In order to improve and develop as a leader, you need to:
- Identify your leadership skill – Identify unique capabilities and skills that you have apart from personal skills that you’ve developed. Recognizing these will help you to become an inspiring leader.
- Identify and develop your strengths – Everyone is born with certain innate strengths. Your strengths are a mix of your talents, knowledge, and skills. By identifying your strengths and matching them with the role, you will perform better.
- Build listening capabilities – Listening is a very important leadership trait for becoming a good leader. Everyone wants to be heard and understood. If you are a good listener, you will find more and more people looking up to you, trusting and being loyal to you.
- Remain motivated and motivate others – If you are motivated, you can achieve your goals, and feel more fulfilled.
- Display high integrity and honesty- Good leaders have high integrity, are honest and are people’s person. If you want to be a good leader you need to walk the talk.
At PROLIM, we identify and groom the next generation of leaders who have the potential to rise up and fill up the top roles in the organization. They are groomed to gain knowledge to handle various situations and also to augment their decision making skills.
Learning effective leadership skills is very different from actually implementing it. You may require an altogether different set of leadership skills depending on the situation. This makes one wonder whether “Can leadership be actually taught?”
What are your thoughts on it? I would love to know your thoughts on the subject.