Market dynamics are changing rapidly, forcing auto makers to change and implement business strategies successfully to stay competitive.
Market dynamics are changing rapidly, forcing auto makers to change and implement business strategies successfully to stay competitive. Today’s automotive industry is grappling with increasingly complex systems and shorter time-to-market pressures; making digital design, and simulation technologies primary drivers in automotive manufacturing. While a holistic system management approach may be the right roadmap for auto companies, it is important to remember that businesses revolve around the products or services a company offers. This is why PLM could be the single most rewarding area to focus on in system implementation.
Automakers and suppliers are using Product Lifecycle management (PLM) as an innovation tool to design better products and gain a competitive edge. The primary factors driving PLM solution expansion are the growing complexity of automobiles and the rising pressure to ramp up production.
PLM seamlessly enables companies to manage information about their products –from the initial concept to manufacturing and after-market service. Bringing together all product-related processes, data and non-product documentation; PLM ensures all elements of product data, like requirements, designs, development schedules, and sourcing, etc, are easily incorporated into processes.
However, the complex mechanical, electrical and software systems of today’s automobiles bring increasing integration challenges. Therefore, close collaboration between automakers and suppliers is critical for program success. Automotive manufacturers are often on the leading edge of PLM deployments. They require solutions that span large extended enterprises to:
- Automate the introduction of a new product from concept to field service
- Enable seamless collaboration with all appropriate departments and partners
- Track and maintain revisions, while also improving current and future versions
- Implement workflows that simplify and accelerate response
- Make the necessary adjustments to handle unique issues of each project using a flexible architecture platform
As a business looking to implement the right PLM solution, it is prudent to choose a solution that:
- Offers greater efficiency into your supply chain by seamlessly integrating PLM with your enterprise systems
- Enables easy collaboration and integration internally as well as across company boundaries for close partnerships between OEMs and suppliers
- Allows suppliers and partners to access information and collaborate in real time, enabling you to market dynamics much faster
With PLM, enterprises can effectively link customer requirements with product design, supply management, manufacturing planning, proposal processes, logistics, etc. PLM solutions enable companies to win more contracts and enable suppliers to turn around proposal responses quickly and accurately.