Mechatronics Concept brings teams together by facilitating the integration of engineering departments, including requirements management, concept design, mechanical design, electrical design and software/automation engineering. Mechatronics Concept from PROLIM PLM Software is specifically designed to speed up the concept design for machine tools. The software enables 3D modeling and simulation of concepts with multibody physics and automation-related behavior typically found in mechatronics products.
The solution supports a new approach for functional machine design. A functional decomposition serves as a common language between disciplines, enabling them to work in parallel from the earliest stages of product development. It also enables the re-use of existing designs. Using Mechatronics Concept Designer enables you to accelerate development of products, allowing engineers from different departments to work in parallel, leveraging innovative techniques that help designers meet demands for higher productivity machines, shorter design times and lower costs.
The machine design process encompasses various disciplines and departments that are independent of one another, so sales, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and automation face an abundance of challenges in trying to work together:
- Collaboration is limited because often the departments only interface with one another at major meetings and at the end of a project, making changes time consuming and costly
- To identify problems early in the conceptual phase, the machine should be simulated in advance. However, this can be quite difficult depending on the complexity of the machine. As a consequence, decisions are frequently made without having access to all of the necessary information
Benefits – Reducing the time to go from idea to real machine
- Get to market faster by reducing development time up to 30 percent
- Rapidly evaluate machine concepts in a virtual environment
- Enhance collaboration among mechanical, electrical and automation designers
- Build fewer physical prototypes